Join us for a Culture Club guided tour ‘An introduction to the Queen’s Theatre Collection at Dublin City Library & Archive’ on 22 May, Wednesday, at 2.30pm in Dublin City Library & Archive.
Cecil Allen, grandson of the actor Ira Allen who performed at The Queen’s Theatre, will discuss the colorful history of a theatre which was at the heart of Dublin’s entertainment industry for many years.
The Queen’s Theatre on Pearse Street, originally named the Adelphi, was built in 1829. In 1844, the new owner of the theatre, John Charles Joseph, demolished it, and set to work building a new theatre, The Queen’s Theatre, which opened in October of the same year. It was a great success and quickly became known to Dubliners as simply ‘The Queen’s’.
Down through the years there have been many famous actors who appeared at The Queen’s Theatre, actors like Barry Fitzgerald, Jimmy O’Dea, Cyril Cusack, Val Vousden, Harold O’Donovan, F. J. McCormack, May Craig and J. B. Carrickford.
The theatre closed in 1969 and was demolished in 1975.
Dublin City Council Culture Company’s Culture Club is an exhibition tour by a guide, followed by complimentary tea, coffee and chats. Each Culture Club is FREE, open to all, and lasts approx 2 hours. To join us simply book your place at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dublin City Council Culture Company are delighted to represent Dublin as part of the Urbact ACCESS network.Read More
14 Henrietta Street has been nominated for the prestigious European Museum of the Year Award. The museum is the only Irish nomination for the European Museum Forum’s EMYA 2020 awards, and will vie with 60 museums across Europe for the title.Read More